Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Cracked Pot


Do you ever feel that you are not quite broken, but that you are getting there?

The Cracked Pot

While sipping on my early morning coffee from my favorite pink coffee mug, I took the extra time to be mindful of the sensation of warmth spreading through my hands as I cupped the mug in both of them. I closed my eyes and breathed in the refreshing coffee aroma and noticed the steam that rose to my face. When I opened my eyes again, I saw that my favorite mug was covered with tiny hairline cracks. The cracks weren’t so bad as to render my mug useless, but just caused it to appear a little less attractive. As I debated whether or not to toss my mug to the trash heap and buy a new one, I realized that I too, am like that cracked pot. There are parts of me that don’t work as well as they once did. There are parts of me that don’t look as attractive as they used to. But, nevertheless, I serve a purpose and I remain useful. My heart still holds God, just as my cup still holds its coffee. God will not throw me away just because I am not perfect. He will accept me with all of my cracks and weaknesses. He will continue to use me to carry his love to the world around me. I am a cracked pot with a higher purpose, and I will continue to serve, and I will persist in drinking my coffee from my beloved, favorite, pink coffee mug.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that no matter how imperfect we appear to be, God has a purpose for all of us. By drawing close to Him daily, we are becoming more Christ-like. Annie, thanks for your beautiful writing! You truly have a gift and God is definitely using you for His purpose to Glorify Him too!

    ReplyDelete