Thursday, July 30, 2009

World's Largest Monstrance/Guest Writer

Dear Readers, the following information is from my friend Marge. I apologize that the links won't take you directly to the sites, you'll need to type in the addresses. Something is not working right with my link thingamajig, can't quite get it to do what I want. Anyway, enjoy, and if you get a chance to visit St. Stanislaus, please tell me about your visit!

"The largest monstrance in the world is located at St.Stanislaus Kostka parish in Illinois (Chicago area). I believe, at present, it is located in the parish church, which has perpetual adoration, and is awaiting completion of the Sanctuary of The Divine Mercy, which appears to be a desire of Our Lady, directly made known to the pastor of this church.

The vision for the sanctuary and monstrance began nine years ago when St. Stanislaus Kostka pastor Fr. Anthony Bus, CR, heard a call from Mary asking him to build the sanctuary. (He wrote a book about his experience entitled A Mother’s Plea: Lifting the Veil in Sanctuary (Marian Press).) The book, originally published in 2005, has been a popular title in Catholic book circles partly because of its apocalyptic theme. It has been updated with information on the painstaking effort to build the sanctuary.

The gilded monstrance was sculpted by an artist/sculptor named Stefan Niedorezo and took two years to carve from linden wood using Renaissance methods (whatever those are..maybe you know). The 'iconic' monstrance is nine feet tall and weighs 700 pounds. Malgorzata Sawczuk is the artist who applied the gilding and he also serves as project conservator. (I don't necessarily know these artists or recognize their names, but I include them in case you want to research to know more about them).

The monstrance depicts the Blessed Mother as the link between the old and new covenants. She is depicted above/over the Ark of the Covenant which, as we know, contained the stone tablets inscribed with the 10 Commandments. In the monstrance, Mary is “clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars,” (Book of Revelation (Rev 11:19 and 12:1-2).

The unveiling of this monstrance took place last year, 2008, on the feast of the Visitation. The ceremony was televised live on EWTN and the Latin American TV station El Sembrador. Relevant Radio also provided U.S. coverage. Mass was celebrated by Cardinal Francis George.

As I mentioned, perpetual adoration before Jesus in this monstrance, is to be held in the parish church (except when Mass is being offered) until the Sanctuary of The Divine Mercy, requested by our Blessed Mother, is completed. As of this date, I have no idea how far along they are or if the Sanctuary is finished or ??? I am definitely going to go, one of these days, to adore Jesus in this most beautiful place and a place specifically requested by His Mother! I think it is so telling, for our times, that Mary requested the specific name She did for the Sanctuary - The Divine Mercy !!! (and, how often do you get to adore Jesus in a host that's bigger than a dinner plate???!!!)

Notice, when you look at the beautiful figure of Our Lady, that Jesus is positioned to be both in Her heart and in Her womb.

Below are some links that will show you beautiful pictures as well as some of the information. I've tried to label the links somewhat, so you know what they are, but you'll find out soon enough by clicking on them.

ENJOY !!! (I dare you not to get spiritual goosebumps!!) grin.."

http://www.amothersplea.org/ (home page of the Sanctuary of The Divine Mercy)

http://www.catholicnewworld.com/gallery.aspx?gallery=7 (various pictures of the Marian Monstrance in progress, etc)

http://www.amillionsouls.com/ (another homepage of the Sanctuary of The Divine Mercy, w/link to sign up for adoration and other links)

8 comments:

  1. Wow! How beautiful! :)
    (I did get spiritual goosebumps) :)
    Found the video of the unveiling ceremony on the EWTN site.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    This is truly awesome. I got goosebumps just reading about it. I can't wait to go and check out these sites. What a beautiful "earthly" home for our Lord.
    PS- I got both your comments and published them; the first one came in after I shut my computer down last night. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read that book?
    I love this kind of stuff and it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anne -

    I must tell my daughter-in-law Karolina - she was born and raised in Poland - married my son Matthew this past September. I know she will be interested in this.

    Also - I have a close "soup-kitchen" friend who travels to Chicago often - as he has a great devotion to "The Little Flower." I believe there is a shrine in Chicago for Terese. He would love to go and see this monstrance.

    As I leave your blog, I am going to check out these websites - I see that Gabriella received "Spiritual Goosebumps." I need some too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne,

    Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
    site!! Amen & amen! :)

    Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
    mind praying for the prayer requests that are
    on our main page?

    May the Lord bless you and your family!!

    Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
    www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

    ps - please consider "following" our blog
    -or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
    blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
    www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

    •´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very beautiful...I have always imagined Our Lady being IN the room with me as I kneel in Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament...but haven't thought of her HOLDING THE MONSTRANCE...a VERY beautiful thought...thanks Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only just became aware of this monstrance recently and must say that I am awed by it and its awesome aesthetic manifestation of the Blessed Virgin as Theotokos - bearer of the Logos made flesh! The symbolism is quite simply beautiful!

    I have recently begun a process of discernment on possibly becoming a priest and seeing the loving aspect of the Mother of God holding the host in glory not only , greatly sustains and inspires the maturation of that discernment but is a great visible meditation on service of priests - the spiritual sons of Our Lady. I only hope to one day soon kneel before this monstrance in the Shrine of the Divine Mercy and be given guidance in sacred silence to move closer to becoming a son of Mary....as she looks with compassion upon myself and us all....through the means of the focal point of our adoration!

    ReplyDelete