Thursday, November 12, 2009

Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn

"Day pours out the word to day." Psalm 19

Tota pulchra es, Maria
et macula originalis non est in te.
Vestimentum tuum candidum quasi nix, et facies tua sicut sol.
Tota pulchra es, Maria,
et macula originalis non est in te.
Tu gloria Jerusalem, tu laetitia Israel, tu honorificentia populi nostri.
Tota pulchra es, Maria.

You are all beautiful, Mary,
and the original stain [of sin] is not in you.
Your clothing is white as snow, and your face is like the sun.
You are all beautiful, Mary,
and the original stain [of sin] is not in
you.
You are the glory of Jerusalem, you are the joy of Israel, you give honour to our people.
You are all beautiful, Mary.


Last week I met with my sisters for our monthly rosary. My sister Cathy who lovingly cared for my parents before they died, brought along a box of post cards that my parents had collected on their world travels. I found this postcard in the box and I immediately fell in love with this beautiful picture, the lovely prayer and the gorgeous name-Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn. This image of Mary is also known as Our Lady of Ostra Brama and/or Our Lady of Mercy. It originated in Lithuania in the 1300's and was painted by an unknown artist. The gold and silver were added to the portrait later. Her feast is celebrated between November 10th and November 16th. Happy feast of Our Lady of The Gate of Dawn!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful.

    Thanx for posting this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Lady at the Gate of Dawn..What a beautiful thought! You are all beautiful Mary; I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful words about Mary as well as this beautiful and very different picture of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! The name, the words and the picture!
    I have a sister named Kathy, too:) We have a lot of the same names in our families. I have a John[my brother], also.

    ReplyDelete