Sunday, November 15, 2009

Praise for the Reality of God!

“Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus”
1 Thessalonians 5:18

















I've had a couple of rough weeks recently. Nothing major at all, just lots of little things that nagged at me and bothered me. I wrote down all of the things that were bothering me, thinking I would counter each negative event with a positive thing. I never got around to doing that. Once I had my list of negativity, I was ashamed that I would even bother to write down the things that upset me as if I needed to hold onto them somehow, nurture them, let them grow and fester inside my heart.

I was blessed to spend a little bit of time with a friend this week and when I told him about my negativity list he said "Anne, that's not real. All of those things will be gone tomorrow, they don't last. All that is real is God. He is the only One who will last forever." WOW! That made so much sense to me, I went home and tore up my list. I am now determined to focus on the beautiful reality of God and all of the real ways that he shows his presence to me.

Here is my list of praise for the week. It is real because they are all gifts from God and I choose to remember them all and praise God for them.

1) For the reality of Jesus in the Eucharist.









2) For yellow mums growing in the garden in the middle of November after everything else has died.

3) For walking under a beautiful pink sunset, listening to the song of a friend.







4) For the new Archbishop of Milwaukee-Archbishop Jerome Listecki! Hooray! And a huge Praise be to God!!!







5) For the gift of old friends from the original St. Matthias Mom's Group and the chance to reconnect-especially for wonderful Sr. Moira who is visiting from Australia. How I've missed her these past 13 years!










Dear One and Only Real Father in Heaven, thank you for the reality of your love and goodness in my life. Thank you for the reality of my husband, my children and my friends. Thank you for the reality of your love in my heart. Thank you for the reality of the beauty found in nature. Thank you for being Real. Amen.


Thank you also, to Jennifer at My Chocolate Heart for hosting this weekly Praise MEME, and for her recent story about The Velveteen Rabbit becoming real (The Process of Holiness: Sometimes it Hurts to Let Yourself Be Loved for Real)published in Catholic Online.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for tearing that list up!

    God entreats us in Philippians 4:8 (New International Version):

    "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel! I love the quote! I was thinking of this as I was writing this post, but couldn't remember where it was. This quote perfectly sums up this post, doesn't it? Now I will never forget-Philippians 4:8. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    I hear you... loud and clear and you're not alone in the struggle with negativity. Take it from a friend, you're doing just fine. Just look up.
    And to answer your question on my blog, of course I don't mind if you share your Praises a little early! Go right ahead. It's just nice to have you join me, and it's all about Praising our wonderful Heavenly Father.

    Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS ANNE! This was exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete