Thursday, February 11, 2010

In the Hand of God

"I have carved you on the palm of my hand." Isaiah 49:15


Have you ever watched somebody whittle wood, carving a plain stick or block of wood into a precious work of art? It takes tremendous talent, a keen eye and a steady hand. It requires forethought and patience. It is a wonderful skill that can result in an heirloom that will be treasured for generations to come.

God, in His wisdom, has carved each of us into the palm of his hand, where we are always nestled, reminding Him of our presence and reminding us of His tender love. When I think about how He has placed certain people in our lives, I realize that it is no accident. He carefully carved those who are closest to us to be an important part of our lives.

Lying next to my husband at night, listening to him breath in that deep, relaxed and peaceful way that dreamers do, I realize that Paul and I have been carved side by side in the hand of God. He will always be right beside me no matter what, because he has been carefully placed there by God, carved out of soft, earthy-scented wood.

Sometimes, we rub each other the wrong way and we bring out sharp splinters in one another that are aggravated by our close proximity. We poke and jab at one another with abrasive words or sharp glances and everything feels scratchy and rough. It leaves a distance between us until the hand of God curves inward and pulls us close together again. With a few kind words and gentle touches that act like loving strokes of sandpaper, those splinters are smoothed out and we can feel the gentle hand of God pulsing with the lifeblood that created us and made us for each other.

My prayer for today and always, is that the hand of God will hold all of humanity close, cradling us in the warmth of His gentle touch and carrying us home to eternal joy right next to His loving heart.

7 comments:

  1. Anne,
    This post is brilliant, it left me speechless. I would be able to tell that you wrote poetry just by reading this post even if I had never seen your blog before.
    It's a beautiful reflection on the Hand of God:) May the Holy Spirit continue to inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of being carved on the palm of God's hand, to be held and cradled by Him is such a comforting thought. It is an image that brings so much peace.

    This is truly beautiful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my goodness! So beautifully written. I love the analogy of the splinters and sandpaper! So glad I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the beautiful imagery of being carved into the hand of God. I think of a small baby, a newborn, resting as if almost molded in the hands of my husband. (or even myself, but my hands are smaller)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to copy and paste to facebook but am having difficulty (?)

    ReplyDelete