Saturday, February 13, 2010

World Marriage Day and St. Valentine's










Marriage Prayer

Heavenly Bride Groom,
we come before you as husband and wife.
Pleading this day for the necessary graces to carry on
in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health,
until the hour of our death.
I promise to be the guardian of my spouse in all things spiritual
so that someday we may enter the Kingdom together.
Bless us this day, body and soul, so that one day
we may be worthy of celebrating with you
at the wedding feast of the Lamb.
Amen.


Isn't it terribly romantic that World Marriage Day and St. Valentine's Day fall on the same day this year? Our youth group will be visiting the nursing home to share flowers and card with some of the residents and hopefully bring a little love to some lonely hearts. If we're lucky, Fr. Dave, our pastor, will invite all of the married couples to renew our wedding vows at Mass. I would marry Paul all over again, so I do hope we will be renewing our vows. He is such a sweetheart, romantic in ways I never imagined he would be when we were first married nearly nineteen years ago.

Paul is usually a hard rock guy. His favorite day of the week is when "House of Hair" is on the radio. Me, I prefer my music a bit more mellow. The other day I came home from some errands and a wonderful song was playing repeatedly on the CD player in the kitchen. It was "For My Wedding" by Don Henley. I had never heard it before. Paul came upstairs from the basement and asked me if I liked the song, and I answered that I loved it! He mentioned that he felt that as the years passed, we were becoming more alike, because he loved the song, too, and it wouldn't have normally been in his taste repertoire. To me, there is nothing more romantic than growing old with your spouse, mellowing together like fine wine, understanding one another without having to use words. To know, live, work, pray and grow together over the years is a beautiful blessing from God, one that I hope I never take for granted. Here are some of the lyrics to "For My Wedding"...

For my wedding, I will dress in black
And never again will I look back
Ah, my dark angels we must part
For I've made a sanctuary of my heart

To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
On my wedding day

For my wedding, I don't want violins
Or sentimental songs about thick and thin
I want a moment of silence and a moment of prayer
For the love we'll need to make it in the world out there

To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
On my wedding day
On my wedding day

On this World Marriage Day and St. Valentine's Day, I join with Don Henley and pray that we will all want what we have and take what we are given with grace, regardless of our state in life. For as long as we are seeking to know the will of God and serve Him in all things, all people-children, adults, married, single or religious-will be living a life of grace, and that is the ultimate romance, the divine romance with God, our creator, who loves us more than any human ever could.

4 comments:

  1. Anne, I believe this is your best ever post.
    "To me, there is nothing more romantic than growing old with your spouse, mellowing together like fine wine, understanding one another without having to use words ..." how beautiful! And how true! Mario and I have been married since 1979 and no one knows me better than he does - we understand our needs just by looking into each other's eyes.

    "You will never grow old,
    While there is love in your heart,
    Time may silver your golden hair
    As you dream in your old rocking chair
    So keep my love in your heart, my darling
    Remember the love tales we told.
    For with my love in your heart, my darling
    You will never grow old!"
    (I don't know who used to sing this)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really wonderful message there - to take what we are given with grace and to want what we have. God has a plan for each of us and we should embrace that. I have heard that song before, but I never really took that message to heart. Thanks for sharing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    I didn't even know that it was World Marriage Day! That is cool! I loved reading this story about the two of you and the prayer was beautiful. My husband is the hard rock kind of guy, too :) I like softer music, like you. The Lord has blessed us with great husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard that Don Henley song!
    But you can bet I'll be searching for it for the next Music Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You and Paul are SOOOO sweet together...thank you for allowing us a glimpse into your sweet sweet LOVE.

    ReplyDelete