Saturday, April 17, 2010

Praying the Psalms-Fourteen










The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good. The Lord looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. All have turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one. Will evildoers never learn-those who devour my people as men eat bread and who do not call on the Lord? There they are overwhelmed with dread, for God is present in the company of the righteous. You evildoers frustrate the plans of the poor, but the Lord is their refuge. Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion! When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people, let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad! Psalm 14

Lord, I know that you see directly into my heart and your timeless words reflect how I feel. Today, my worries are many about evil and corruption in my beloved Church and toward my beloved Church…Your beloved Church.

There are many whose hearts are true and repentant, but those whose hearts are cold are cruel are also many and they inflict their arrogant opinions and hateful words upon others without concern for the hurt they cause. Their only concern is to make themselves into gods instead of worshiping and loving You, the only one, true God.

Today my son asked me why some people think that abortion is ok. I had no answer. But God, if we could all see the evil in abortion, if we could all see the evil in all sinful actions, what a blessed and beautiful world this would be. I pray for those who don't care about You and Your laws. I pray for those who don't love You with their whole heart. I pray for those who don't believe in Your true presence in the Eucharist and for those who don't believe in Your true presence in others. I pray for those who hurt You and the people You love with hateful words and hateful actions. And, I pray for myself because so often I am the one in need of those prayers, I am the one who fails to love and to care; I am the one who allows my heart to be filled with hate and hurt.

Change the evildoers’ hearts, Lord. Change my heart. Draw us back to You and Your loving Sacred Heart. Hold us all close to You and Your goodness so that we may rejoice and be glad as one. Amen.

Join Jenny at Just A Minute in Praying the Psalms

7 comments:

  1. Anne, I've just finished reading Robert Bolt's play 'A Man for All Seasons' which I've now read about 20 times! It is about the life of St Thomas More (as an Englishman, he's my favourite saint).
    At one point he says to his daughter Meg:

    “If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good".

    I wonder if there will always be evil in our world (a bit like the parable of the weeds and the wheat)? Because that way we have to make difficult choices and we will always walk against the current.
    Even where there are scandals inside the Church, I want to try to become even more holy and even more ready to do God's will:
    "This may be a wicked age, but your lives should redeem it". (Eph 5:16)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evil exists where empathy dies.

    Thank you for your lovely post Anne.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it sad when we have to explain abortion to our children? And how do we explain people killing babies to our very own babies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of your comments. John, I have never read "A Man for all Seasons". I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anne, I am back in bloggyland, and just wanted to let you know. My new blog is called "Rising on eagles wings" ... Pip

    I imagine people think abortion is ok because there have been may voices training them in relative truth since childhood, and less and less voices proclaiming what is truly good, until it seems only one remains...but it will prevail. Hearts need to turn, the 'eye' that is the lamp of the body (conscience) needs to be given the grace to see and to fill the body with light. Our prayers and perseverance in truth can help those in darkness to receive the light of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I think you highlighted one of the things that bothers me so much these days ... indifference. It pains me to see leaders - religious and otherwise - that do not care about how their decisions and actions relate to God's plan.

    I pray with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "And, I pray for myself because so often I am the one in need of those prayers, I am the one who fails to love and to care; I am the one who allows my heart to be filled with hate and hurt."

    This is so true for me as well, Anne. Isn't God so god to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness? Thank you for thoughtful reflection and prayer.

    ReplyDelete