Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dip Your Paddle

In my most recent candidacy lesson for the Oblates of the Precious Blood I found this gem from Fr. Gerald Fitzgerald on mental prayer:




















"Look at the beautiful face of our Mother Mary and you will say a perfect prayer. How simple it is to pray if we pray meditatively, if we take time to think of what we are saying. St. Francis of Assisi would spend all night saying only: "My God and my All." I want you to learn to pray like that, according to Divine Counsel: "When you pray, pray not long prayers." Pray meditatively; don't be racing through prayers. If you ask God, He will help you to pray. Pray as one who paddles a canoe on a quiet lake in the twilight. [Imagine] the violet banks of hills set against the gold of the setting sun; the lake almost a mirror with here and there a little fish splashing and a little bird winging its way home. You dip your paddle just enough to keep the canoe moving. So in meditation, one does well to dip one's paddle just enough to keep one's soul moving toward God."

6 comments:

  1. Anne,
    Thank you so much for sharing this. What a beautiful analogy Father makes. The gentle dipping of the canoe paddle is so peaceful and gentle~so should our prayer be.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,

    This is so beautiful. I can relate to the paddle and canoe because I canoe and kayak. Now every time I am on the lake I will think of prayer with every stroke.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful little gem to reflect on Anne! Thank you. I love the imagery here and the picture is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful gem, Anne. Like the others said...so gentle and peaceful, the way prayer should be. A dear priest once told me something similar..to be like a little bird who tucks its head beneath its wing, so to rest, in God's Presence.

    Thanks, Anne. Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete