Thursday, November 1, 2012

Releasing Souls from Purgatory


I know a lovely elderly woman, a mother of 11 children, who has seen just about everything in her lifetime, both joys and sorrows galore.  Not too long ago she was telling me about her most recent aches and pains that were causing her difficulty.  At a loss for adequate words I reached out to embrace her in a hug and said, "I'm so sorry that you're hurting."  Then, like any good Catholic, I said, "I suppose this is something to offer up."  She shook her head and said, "Listen honey, I've offered up so much in my lifetime that I'm sure I've released at least a hundred souls from purgatory by now!"

I only hope that when I arrive at old age I can say the same thing.  What a blessing it must be to be the cause of one hundred souls finding their way into the arms of God after the sufferings of life on earth and the torment of waiting for glory while in purgatory!


Prayer of St. Gertrude the Great

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family.  Amen.

(Our Lord told St. Gertrude that the above prayer would release 1000 souls from purgatory each time it is said.)

Prayer of Pope Pius IX

I adore you, O glorious Cross, which was adorned with the Heart and Body of my Savior Jesus Christ, stained and covered with Blood. I adore you, O Holy Cross, out of love for Him, Jesus, who is my Savior and my God.


(Pope Pius IX declared that by reciting this prayer 5 times on Friday, we release 5 souls from Purgatory and we release 33 souls from Purgatory by reciting it on Good Friday. This prayer should be recited before a Crucifix, with a contrite heart and praying a few moments for the Pope.)

My Mom's Favorite Prayer 

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I love you.  Save souls.

(She never told me how many souls would be saved when I pray it, but she did tell me to pray it every time I hear God's name used in vain.  You can only imagine the frequency with which I have prayed this in my lifetime so far!)


1 comment:

  1. I love the Saint Gertrude prayer. I do hope it is really true that 1000 souls are released when we say it. I guess it just seems so amazing! I am not familiar with the Pope Pius IX prayer. I will have to copy that one.

    ReplyDelete